Having allergic children is never easy – especially when it comes to baking and events like birthday parties. We have to send out kids in with stuff they can eat so that they are not excluded. It means no picking something up on the way, it means always planning ahead, always being ‘sorted’. So there are a few, simple recipes that always work and make life much easier. This is my favourite ‘go to’ vegan chocolate cake recipe.
A simple recipe for vegan chocolate cake that you can use for everyday cakes, or make into something special by making layers, adding jam, vegan chocolate chips, or making cupcakes. If you like – add in a cup of smashed up vegan oreo cookies, or a teaspoon of mint for a change.
Free From: dairy, egg, nuts, soya
Preheat oven to 350°F or 177°C
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- March 26, 2019
- Print this
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 cup granulated or caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp chocolate essence (you can do without this - I think it adds some depth of flavour)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp melted Pure Sunflower margarine
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I use KoKo)
- Step 1
- Line your muffin tins, or lightly grease and flour your cake tin.
- Step 2
- Sift flour, sugar, soda and cocoa into a bowl. Then add vanilla, chocolate essence, vinegar, and melted margarine.
- Step 3
- Then briefly mix with a spoon then pour in one cup non dairy milk and mix briefly until all ingredients are entirely moist. It makes quite a runny looking batter but don’t worry!
- Step 4
- For cake, bake in a lightly greased pan for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. For cupcakes bake for about 15 minutes. Now leave the cupcakes in the tin for 10 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
There are lots of variations you can try – we prefer a richer cake so add in an additional 1/3 cup cocoa and 2/3 cup of chocolate chips.
Top with Vegan Icing