We really like upside down cakes. They look pretty, combine fruit and cake (what’s not to love) and aren’t covered in icing so aren’t too sugary (sugar sets off Molly’s reflux). All in all they are a win for us.
This recipe was created when Molly wanted a fruit cake and we didn’t have any pineapple in the house. So…a tin of peaches, and a handful of blueberries later and we were away and happy!
Free From: Dairy, Egg, Soya, Nuts
Preheat Oven to 170ºC, 340ºF
Upside-down Peach, Blueberry with Cinnamon Cake
- March 24, 2019
- Print this
- 1 tin peaches
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 2/3rd cup caster sugar
- ½ smashed up banana
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup Peach Juice – topped up with Koko or and dairy free milk to make up a cup.
- 6 tbsp non-dairy margarine (melted – I do it for 30 seconds in the microwave)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Handful of blueberries or any other berry you like and have in the kitchen.
- Step 1
- Prepare the peaches. Drain and keep the liquid to use in the cake. On a medium heat put the peaches with 1 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp of the vanilla. You just want to warm up the peaches enough so they are covered in a light sugary coating.
- Step 2
- Arrange the peach slices in a circular pattern around the edges, then create another circle on the inside. Dot blueberries around the circle. You can do any pattern that appeals of course!
- Step 3
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoon of dark brown sugar on top of the peaches and around the pan.
- Step 4
- Don’t put the sugar all the way to the edges or it will stick to the springform pan at the sides.
- Step 5
- Now make the cake batter – Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, and salt together.
- Step 6
- Add in the melted margarine and vanilla and give it a good stir.
- Step 7
- Add in the peach juice and milk mixture along with the smashed banana, mix to incorporate.
- Step 8
- Carefully pour the cake mixture on top the peaches and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Step 9
- Cool in the tin for ten minutes.
- Step 10
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to ensure nothing is sticking then put a plate over the top of the cake tin, and invert the cake onto the plate in one quick motion.
- Step 11
- Undo the spring form part of the pan, lift off the lid and carefully take off the grease proof paper from the top of your cake.
- Step 12
- Cool and serve with vegan caramel sauce for extra indulgence or vegan ice cream.
Here’s what the fruit looks like when arranged in the tin: