Gluten Free and Vegan? Yes. With a great deal of chocolate…these are really lovely cupcakes. Top them with vegan buttercream frosting and drop chocolate chips on top for the final flourish.
Gluten Free, Vegan Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- March 25, 2019
- Print this
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising gluten free flour - I used Dove's Farm
- 1 cup cup granulated or caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips (I used Sainsbury's)
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp chocolate essence (you can do without this - I think it adds some depth of flavour)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 6 tbs melted Pure Sunflower margarine or any vegan margarine
- 1 cup Koko milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- Step 1
- Line your muffin tins and preheat your oven.
- Step 2
- Sift flour, sugar, soda, baking powder, Xanthan Gum and cocoa into a bowl. Always sift your cocoa – otherwise you end up with lumps everywhere.
- Step 3
- Then add vanilla, chocolate essence, vinegar, and melted margarine. Mix together until combined.
- Step 4
- Pour in the dairy free milk and mix briefly until all ingredients are entirely moist.
- Step 5
- Stir in the chocolate chips carefully
- Step 6
- Fill the cupcakes holders about 2/3rds of the way up and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Step 7
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Step 8
- Finish with Vegan Buttercream Frosting and drop a few chocolate chips on top!