Here are a few of our dairy free tips:
- Vitalite is our favourite dairy free spread, although Flora and Pure are pretty good too.
- We melt margarine to add to cakes rather than use ‘flavourless oil’ as is often recommended.
- Oatly Cream is sauces is really good, Soya works well if you aren’t allergic to it!
- Add Trex to baking cookies to make them chewier (divide the fat between Trex and Dairy free margarine).
- Trex is best for making pastries – the dairy free margarines don’t produce a flakey enough result.
- We prefer Koko milk in smoothies, to make porridge and in baking. Nut alternatives are good, but we’re allergic so we don’t use them.
- Violife Cheese and Daiya Cheese are great.
- You no longer need to make your own ice cream as there are so many dairy free ones around, but if you do then use coconut cream.
- Don’t try to make a baked cheesecake with dairy free cream cheese – it doesn’t work!. Go for a refrigerated recipe.