This is as simple as it gets – lovely dairy free risotto with just a few ingredients. In some ways it’s more an ‘ode to Violife’. Dairy and soya free cheese has revolutionised recipes for us. This is a classic risotto dish – but made with dairy free margarine and dairy free Violife Parmesan cheese. It’s a great supper when you’re after a vegan or vegetarian option.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
Free From: Dairy, Eggs, Gluten, Soya
Dairy Free Parmesan and Saffron Risotto
- September 3, 2019
- Print this
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons Pure Sunflower margarine
- 1 cup grated Violife Dairy Free Parmesan
- 2 cups Risotto Rice
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- ½ cup Marsala wine (or any strong white wine)
- Step 1
- Chop up the onion finely and grate your Parmesan so it’s ready to go when you need it.
- Step 2
- Put a good 7 cups of vegetable broth in a pot and bring to a low simmer. Crumble up the saffron threads and add them to the stock.
- Step 3
- Grab a large, heavy bottomed pan and add 2 tablespoons of Pure. Melt the margarine on a medium to low heat and add the onions. Cook for 5 minutes until translucent but not coloured.
- Step 4
- Throw in the rice ”“ it should sizzle. Stir the rice so it doesn’t burn. You are toasting the rice at this stage and it only takes a minute or two.
- Step 5
- Toasting the rice
- Step 6
- Now add the wine ”“ I like Marsala but really any white wine will do as long as it’s got a decent flavour. The wine will sizzle. Give it all a good stir.
- Step 7
- It’s time to add the stock a ladle or ½ cup at a time. The stock needs to be absorbed before you put the next ladle in. This is where the stirring comes in. I don’t care what anyone else says, I say it needs constant attention or it doesn’t cook evenly. So commit to the task at hand and stay by your risotto. It shouldn’t be boiling away madly”¦but simmering away nicely. If it’s too hot then the outside gets mushy before the middle of the grains of rice are cooked.
- Step 8
- How much stock you use depends on whether you like your risotto slightly runny, or a bit more solid. I like this risotto runny so tend to use all the stock, and sometimes a bit more! This process takes a good 25 minutes or so. The rice should be cooked nicely but still have a bit of a bit ”“ you don’t want mush!
- Step 9
- When the rice is cooked stir in 1 cup of Violife Parmesan and 2 tablespoons of Pure Sunflower margarine. Adjust seasoning and serve with the block of Parmesan so folk can put some more on top if they wish.