Does anything say comfort like dairy free Mac & Cheese? No”¦nothing is quite a comforting as pasta covered in a creamy dairy free cheese sauce.
So here we go ”“ our answer to all of life’s problems. Gluten free, dairy free Mac & Cheese. You can keep it plain, or made it more substantial by adding in other ingredients like cauliflower or kale. Nutritional yeast sounds odd, but it adds a great cheese flavour to vegan dishes.
Our favourite variations so far are:
Mac & Cheese with Salmon and Peas
Mac & Cheese with roasted butternut squash and roasted cauliflower
We think Sainsbury’s Gluten Free Pasta is the best around!
Free from: Soya, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Nuts
Dairy Free Mac & Cheese
- March 24, 2019
- Print this
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 cups of Koko Coconut Milk
- 1 ½ cups Nutritional Yeast
- 100g grated Violife Cheddar Cheese
- ½ tbs lemon juice
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 tbsp dairy free margarine ”“ I use Flora
- 1 gluten free, egg free, bread roll to turn into crumbs
- 400 grams Sainsbury's gluten free pasta
- Step 1
- Start by roasting the garlic. Pop them onto a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes in a hot oven. Take them out and let them cool
- Step 2
- If you are adding in roasted vegetables or salmon now is the time to pop them in the oven.
- Step 3
- Salmon goes in at 180 for 20 minutes, roasted butternut squash and cauliflower at 200 for 15-20 minutes
- Step 4
- Melt the margarine in a heavy based saucepan and sautÃ© the onion until soft and slightly coloured. Add in the yeast, grated cheese, cornflour, garlic, mustard and lemon juice. Stir
- Step 5
- Grab a whisk and slowly add in the milk whisking while you go. Whisk the sauce while it heats up”¦you’re not looking to get it boiling, but rather hot enough to have the cheese melt and make a lovely sauce. It will bubble a bit at the edges
- Step 6
- Once done you can cover with cling film so a skin doesn’t form
- Step 7
- Boil the Pasta as per instructions (about 9 minutes). Don’t over cook the pasta or you will end up with sludge
- Step 8
- Combine the sauce with the pasta, and stir in the salmon. If you are adding peas then heat ½ of petit pois in hot water (do not boil!) and add
- Step 9
- Grab a gluten free roll and blitz in a food processor to make breadcrumbs
- Step 10
- Pour into a greased ovenproof dish, sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and heat through at 190 for about 20 minutes.