Does anything say comfort like dairy free Mac & Cheese? No…nothing is quite a comforting as pasta covered in a creamy dairy free cheese sauce.
So here we go – our answer to all of life’s problems. Gluten free, dairy free Mac & Cheese. You can keep it plain, or made it more substantial by adding in other ingredients like cauliflower or kale. Nutritional yeast sounds odd, but it adds a great cheese flavour to vegan dishes.
Our favourite variations so far are:
Mac & Cheese with Salmon and Peas
Mac & Cheese with roasted butternut squash and roasted cauliflower
We think Sainsbury’s Gluten Free Pasta is the best around!
Free from: Soya, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Nuts
Dairy Free Mac & Cheese
- March 24, 2019
- Print this
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 cups of Koko Coconut Milk
- 1 ½ cups Nutritional Yeast
- 100g grated Violife Cheddar Cheese
- ½ tbs lemon juice
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 tbsp dairy free margarine – I use Flora
- 1 gluten free, egg free, bread roll to turn into crumbs
- 400 grams Sainsbury's gluten free pasta
- Step 1
- Start by roasting the garlic. Pop them onto a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes in a hot oven. Take them out and let them cool
- Step 2
- If you are adding in roasted vegetables or salmon now is the time to pop them in the oven.
- Step 3
- Salmon goes in at 180 for 20 minutes, roasted butternut squash and cauliflower at 200 for 15-20 minutes
- Step 4
- Melt the margarine in a heavy based saucepan and sauté the onion until soft and slightly coloured. Add in the yeast, grated cheese, cornflour, garlic, mustard and lemon juice. Stir
- Step 5
- Grab a whisk and slowly add in the milk whisking while you go. Whisk the sauce while it heats up…you’re not looking to get it boiling, but rather hot enough to have the cheese melt and make a lovely sauce. It will bubble a bit at the edges
- Step 6
- Once done you can cover with cling film so a skin doesn’t form
- Step 7
- Boil the Pasta as per instructions (about 9 minutes). Don’t over cook the pasta or you will end up with sludge
- Step 8
- Combine the sauce with the pasta, and stir in the salmon. If you are adding peas then heat ½ of petit pois in hot water (do not boil!) and add
- Step 9
- Grab a gluten free roll and blitz in a food processor to make breadcrumbs
- Step 10
- Pour into a greased ovenproof dish, sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and heat through at 190 for about 20 minutes.