Does anything say comfort like Mac & Cheese? No…nothing is quite a comforting as pasta covered in a creamy cheese sauce. However, it is a bit tricky if you are dairy allergic or intolerant and also gluten free.
So here we go – our answer to all of life’s problems. Gluten free, dairy free Mac & Cheese. You can keep it plain, or made it more substantial by adding in other ingredients. Our favourite variations so far are:
Mac & Cheese with Salmon and Peas
Mac & Cheese with roasted butternut squash and roasted cauliflower
Free from: Soya, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Nuts
Dairy and Gluten Free Mac & Cheese
- March 24, 2019
- Print this
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 cups of Koko Coconut Milk
- 1 ½ cups Nutritional Yeast
- 100g grated Violife Cheddar Cheese
- ½ tbs lemon juice
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 tbsp dairy free margarine – I use Flora
- 1 gluten free, egg free, bread roll to turn into crumbs
- 400 grams Sainsbury's gluten free pasta
- Additional Options - Oven Roasted Salmon and peas (roast the salmon at 180ºC, 360ºF for 20 minutes). Roasted butternut squash and cauliflower (1/2 small cauliflower, 1/3 medium butternut squash - both cut into small pieces and roasted for 15 minutes at 200ºC, 400ºF)
- Step 1
- Start by roasting the garlic. Pop them onto a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes in a hot oven. Take them out and let them cool.
- Step 2
- If you are adding in roasted vegetables or salmon now is the time to pop them in the oven.
- Step 3
- Salmon goes in at 180 for 20 minutes, roasted butternut squash and cauliflower at 200 for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 4
- Melt the margarine in a heavy based saucepan and sauté the onion until soft and slightly coloured. Add in the yeast, grated cheese, cornflour, mustard and lemon juice. Stir.
- Step 5
- Grab a whisk and slowly add in the milk whisking while you go. Whisk the sauce while it heats up…you’re not looking to get it boiling, but rather hot enough to have the cheese melt and make a lovely sauce. It will bubble a bit at the edges. Once done you can cover with cling film so a skin doesn’t form.
- Step 6
- Boil the Pasta as per instructions (about 9 minutes). Don’t over cook the pasta or you will end up with sludge
- Step 7
- Combine the sauce with the pasta, and stir in the salmon. If you are adding peas then heat ½ of petit pois in hot water (do not boil!) and add to the mixture.
- Step 8
- Grab a gluten free roll and blitz in a food processor to make breadcrumbs.
- Step 9
- Pour into a greased ovenproof dish, sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top and heat through at 190 for about 20 minutes.