Citrus cupcakes are lovely, a bit ”fresher’ than chocolate and lighter. I know the normal combination with Poppy Seed is Lemon, and you can certainly swop the orange for lemon if you like, but I think the orange works well. This recipe doesn’t call for any non-dairy milk; instead juice is used which adds a nice flavour.
Free From: Dairy, Eggs, Soya
Contains: Gluten, Poppy Seed
Preheat oven to 170° C, 350°F
Dairy and Egg Free Orange Poppy Seed Cupcakes
- September 29, 2019
- Print this
- 4 ½ tbsp dairy free margarine
- 2/3 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 ½ cups Plain Flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Orange flavouring (I like Orange Blossom)
- 3 ½ tbsp poppy seeds
- Step 1
- Cream the sugar and margarine until light and as fluffy as vegan margarine gets!
- Step 2
- Add vanilla and orange flavouring and mix
- Step 3
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix briefly
- Step 4
- Add in the orange juice and mix until you have a smooth thick batter – this doesn’t take long
- Step 5
- With a wooden spoon mix in the poppy seeds
- Step 6
- Fill the muffin liners up to about 2/3rds full
- Step 7
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then finish on a wire rack.
- Step 8
- I then decorated with orange butter cream.
Line your muffin tin so you don’t have to faff around later